The Democratic Society have been working in Northern Ireland since early 2015, creating links with the Open Government Network NI and mentoring organisations participating in the Civic Activism Programme* in Northern Ireland.
The organisations we’re mentoring are trying new and innovative ways of engaging with their communities. Our role is to support them in this. We’re working in partnership with our friends at Involve, drawing on our combined experience and expertise in civic engagement.
We’re also responsible for capturing learning and creating resources that can live on after the projects are completed. These will be published at a final programme conference marking completion of the programme in March 2017 (watch this space for more info!)
Our work on this programme has included the following aspects:
- Linking organisations with international experts in the civic activism tool as Learning Partners, who delivered training, workshops and guidance.
- Designing and facilitating workshops bringing all organisations together (Sept 2015, Feb 2016, Oct 2016)
- Delivering training workshops on how to implement the civic activism tools
- Creating opportunities for peer-to-peer networks, and skills sharing
- Facilitating online network
- Curating and publishing learning materials
We’re working with some really interesting organisations with great community focused projects, and have been delighted to work with them in experimenting with innovative tools. Many of these tools are being used for the first time ever in Northern Ireland. The tools they are testing include pop-up democracy, citizen juries, social reporting, participatory card games, deliberative polling and many more.
You can see a full list of all the tools in the Civic Activism Toolkit here on the Building Change Trust website: Civic Activism Toolkit.
Want to find out more?
Contact our project lead Niamh Webster at email@example.com to say hello
Follow our work in Northern Ireland on Twitter: @demsocNI
Interested in more of our work in Northern Ireland? Drop us a line! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Civic Activism Programme is funded by the Building Change Trust and supports Northern Irish voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) organisations in piloting innovative tools for community involvement, activism and civic engagement.